Sunday, May 25, 2014

297 Days, But Who's Counting?!

On Tuesday, I (Lydia) will start my new job as "Wellness Educator" for the United States Marine Corps.  Since arriving in Okinawa, a primary goal of mine has been employment.
So, a week after arriving, I stopped into the Red Cross office to look into volunteer options while looking for work.  The application for a volunteer dental assistant training program in clinic where Daniel worked was coming due so I grabbed one and left.  I figured that it would be something to do and I would learn a lot about Daniel's profession which would not be a bad thing.  I was called in for an interview. I did not get the position.

A women who hired me to teach spin a few weeks later mentioned an open position as a health physiologist.  I followed up on it.  If I can teach spin, I can health physiologize right?!  Wrong. I was not qualified and did not get the position.

When one of the people I ride with found out I used to work in a bike shop he was kind enough to bring his Okinawan wife to Komesu's bike shop (one of three main shops on the island) with me to facilitate and translate an inquiry asking if he could use any help around the shop.  He did not need help.

I know a couple people who taught English in Japan through a program called JET.  Great!  I will apply for that.  I would prefer to work outside of the military world anyhow.  So I wrote an essay, got letters of recommendation, got the required medical clearance from a doctor, and completed and mailed in the 28 page application.  I got called back for an interview.  In Chicago.  No exceptions.   I didn't have any other options at the time, I have teaching experience and I currently live in Japan.  I thought, "my chances are good."  So I went to Chicago for the interview.  I did not get the position.

Starbucks, will they hire me?  I asked some coffee shops in our neighborhood.  
Nothing. They cannot hire Americans unless they have work visas or are citizens of Japan.   

One day an older gentleman approached me after spin.  He asked if I was seeking employment. "Yes!"  He recommended I apply for MCCS Semper Fit (Marine Corps Community Services Fitness) positions. He said, something to the effect of, "you have the twinkle."  I'm still not sure what that means.  But I followed up on the cryptic advice and applied for a couple positions.  "Rec Assistant" and "Sports Director."  I got called back for interviews.  I did not get the positions.

So I applied for another one, "Wellness Educator."  I got called back for an interview.  And then called back for a background check.  And then called back with a job offer. :)

Celebratory ice cream cones from Blue Seal
Getting a job is a big answered prayer.  However, going from 0 to 40 hrs a week of employment is going to be a challenge so please keep those thoughts and prayers coming for a smooth transition.  

No comments:

Post a Comment